I adapted this project from simple paper flowers by Jeffery Rudell.
These flowering branches will eventually form the center of the centerpiece for my niece’s wedding.
Paper in varying shades of your color for the flower. Bits of tissue paper/napkin for the center, branches (I pick mine up from the yard), white glue.
About 20 minutes to make the flowers and glue to the branch (bigger branches = more flowers = more time).
Do you remember how to make a spit wad?
Purple Pig Rating:
7.5 oinks out of 10. The flowers are really sweet and very easy. The cost is nothing (doesn’t everyone have paper, glue, and yard debris?) Making a lot of flowers is a bit tedious, but again very easy. Gluing to the branch takes some time. Hot glue is faster, but shows. Using white glue takes time to let it dry, but is invisible. Minimal messy factor, in fact it requires cleaning up your yard of branches.
Detailed Step by Step:
1. Trace a round circle onto your paper in the size you want your flower. I used a 2″ diameter lid. Cut out your circles. Fold/layer your paper to make several circles at once.
2. Fold the circle in half, then in half again, then in half again. You will have a little cone. Cut a rounded edge to form the petal shape. Unfold.
3. Cut out two triangular sections from the flower (to make a more open flower, cut out one section, to make a smaller bud, cut out three sections). Glue the two end sections together by overlapping.
4. To make a flat base (so you can glue it to a branch), I placed a blunt-ended pencil inside the flower and pressed down onto the table.
5. Make “spit wads” out of a contrasting color from bits of napkin or tissue paper. A dab of glue in the center of flower will hold them. A shiny bead would look pretty too. Shape the petals by pinching each rounded end between your fingers.
6. Glue to your branch. Repeat.
6a. (Optional Step): Making smaller buds from your left over cut out bits.
6b. (Optional Step): Use tissue paper (or napkins) and make even smaller circles/flowers for a completely different look. The small blue flowers are made from 1″ napkin circles, cut “pointy” instead of rounded, and the flower base doesn’t need to be flattened.
- Crepe Paper Streamer Flowers (curiouspurplepig.wordpress.com)
- Wedding Woo’s Wednesday- (riversidecottage1.wordpress.com)
- Create a Shredded Paper Flower Bouquet (education.com)
- Paper flowers (artycrafty.wordpress.com)